Historical Milestones

Historical Milestones

  • 1885
    Sister Mary Wood establishes a nine-bed facility in Los Angeles. A tradition of caring begins.
  • 1886
    St. Paul's Episcopal Church (seen at right in historical photo) enters into an agreement with the California Diocese to assume control of the facility, renamed The Los Angeles Hospital and Home for Invalids.
  • 1886
    A good Samaritan - Mrs. Mark Severance - donates funds to purchase new property for larger quarters. The hospital is renamed in her honor. The hospital begins a period of growth, mirroring the growth of the City of Los Angeles.
  • 1898
    Good Samaritan becomes a training school for nurses - a commitment still honored today by the hospital's on-site training programs and continued emphasis on nurse-patient education.
  • 1911
    Good Samaritan moves to its current location.
  • 1927
    New facilities are developed to better serve the growing Los Angeles community.
  • 1953
    A major addition is built. The hospital is configured for 400+ patients.
  • 1976
    Ten years of planning culminate in a new hospital, upgraded to include the most recent technologies and newest concepts in health care delivery.
  • 1981
    A medical office building is added to the hospital campus.
  • 1984
    An outpatient surgery center is established.
  • 1986
    The Heart Institute is founded as a Center of Excellence.
  • 1986
    Good Samaritan makes history with the world's first live birth from a frozen embryo (see People Magazine article from 1986 at left). The Institute for Reproductive Research is founded.
  • 1988
    The Neuromuscular Center is officially designated a Jerry Lewis ALS Clinical and Research Center, one of five Muscular Dystrophy Association sponsored centers for the study of Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis and related disorders.
  • 1989
    The Davajan-Cabal Perinatal Center, affiliated with the USC School of Medicine, is created as a Center of Excellence to meet increased community demand for childbirth services.
  • 1990
    Spacious cardiothoracic surgery and intensive care wings are added.
  • 1991
    The Orthopaedic Institute is developed as a Center of Excellence.
  • 1991
    The 7th Gamma Knife in the U.S. installed at Good Samaritan Neurosciences program, a nationally recognized Center of Excellence.
  • 1992
    The Kidney Stone Center is developed as a Center of Excellence.
  • 1998
    Good Samaritan Hospital is named one of "America's Best Hospitals" for "Top Medical Care in 16 Specialties" by U.S. News & World Report. Neurosciences and Gastroenterology are identified as offering patients the best level of medical care available in these specialties.
  • 1999
    The Transfusion-Free Medicine and Bloodless Surgery program is developed and offered to patients.
  • 1999
    The Bone & Joint Institute is developed by Good Samaritan's internationally recognized orthopedic experts.
  • 1999
    The Kidney Center is renamed in honor of the late Peter D. Fugelso, M.D., a pioneer in the use of percutaneous approaches and extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy.
  • 1999-2007, 2009-2014
    Named “Best Medical Center” in downtown Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Downtown News.
  • 2007
    Good Samaritan Hospital is named as “One of America’s 50 Best Hospitals” by HealthGrades, Inc., the nation’s leading independent health care ratings company.
  • 2008
    Good Samaritan Hospital is named as “One of America’s 50 Best Hospitals” by HealthGrades, Inc. for a second year in a row.
  • 2008
    Best Medical Specialty in Downtown – Maternity (Los Angeles Downtown News).
  • 2009
    Good Samaritan Hospital is named as “One of America’s 50 Best Hospitals” by HealthGrades, Inc. for the third year in a ro
  • 2009
    Good Samaritan Hospital received the California Awards for Performance Excellence (CAPE) Prospector Award from the California Council for Excellence (CCE). The award recognizes organizations that demonstrate superior performance in key business areas including leadership, strategic planning, customer and market focus, knowledge management, process management, business results and human resources..
  • 2009
    In October, Good Samaritan Hospital received a Silver Level Award from CAPE, an outstanding achievement for a first time applicant.
  • 2010
    Good Samaritan Hospital celebrates its 125th anniversary.
  • 2010
    Three board members including Mr. Charles Munger, Mrs. Nancy Call and Mr. Art Crowe, Jr. celebrate 30 years of service on the Board of Trustees.
  • 2010
    Construction begins on the Medical Pavillion & Outpatient Surgery Center..
  • 2011
    Good Samaritan Hospital received the California Team Excellence Award Bronze Level.
  • 2012
    The Heart & Vascular Center adds the Transcutaneous Aortic Valve Management Program.
  • 2013
    The Heart & Vascular Center becomes the first hospital on the west coast to offer physician hands-on training on the Transradial Access Program.
  • 2014
    The Heart & Vascular Center’s two new Catheterization Laboratories open with the first procedure done March 2014.