Hospital News - Press Releases
Good Samaritan Hospital Named Among America's 50 Best Hospitals 3 Consecutive Years
Recognition based on outstanding clinical performance over 9-year period; Hospital also recognized as Distinguished Hospital 7 years in a row.
Los Angeles (February 24, 2009) – Good Samaritan Hospital in Los Angeles is named as One of America’s 50 Best Hospitals in 2009 by HealthGrades, the nation’s leading independent healthcare ratings company. Good Samaritan Hospital has received this distinction for three consecutive years.
"To be ranked among America’s 50 Best Hospitals by HealthGrades for three consecutive years is a great honor and tribute to our physicians and staff who deliver wonderful care to our patients year after year," said Andrew B. Leeka, president and CEO of Good Samaritan Hospital. "This unwavering commitment to quality can be found in every aspect of our organization. This award challenges us to continue that commitment and assure that everyone in our community has access to the best possible care."
Hospitals including Good Samaritan Hospital that received America’s 50 Best Hospital distinctionswere found to have an approximate 27 percent lower mortality rate than all other U.S. hospitals and a complication rate that was eight percent lower according to HealthGrades.
To identify the hospitals, HealthGrades independently analyzed approximately 110 million Medicare patient records from fiscal years 1999 through 2007 for 26 medical procedures and conditions. To be included in the analysis, hospitals including Good Samaritan Hospital must have met the minimum thresholds in terms of patient volumes, quality ratings, and the range of services provided. Before comparing the inhospital mortality and complication rates of the nation’s hospitals, HealthGrades risk-adjusted the data to compare on equal footing hospitals that treated sicker patients. Hospitals with risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates that scored in the top five percent or better nationally and who received a Distinguished Hospitals designation for at least the past six consecutive years were recognized as America’s 50 Best Hospitals.
Good Samaritan Hospital ranked among the top hospitals in the nation in several specialty areas including:
- 5 Star Rating for Care of Congestive Heart Failure
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award™
- Ranked Among the Top 10 Percent in the Nation for Joint Replacement
- Five-Star Rated for Joint Replacement
- Five-Star Rated for Total Knee Replacement
- Five-Star Rated for Total Hip Replacement
- Critical Care
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Sepsis
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Respiratory Failure
- Received the Highest Possible Star Ratings for Treatment of Sepsis
- Received the Highest Possible Ratings for Treatment of Respiratory Failure.
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™
- Ranked Among the Top 10 percent in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services
- Five-Star Rated for Overall Pulmonary Services
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of Pneumonia
- Received the Highest Possible Star Ratings for Treatment of Pneumonia
- 2008 Specialty Excellence Award for Stroke Care
- Ranked Among the Top 5 Percent in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke
- 4th in California for Treatment of Stroke
- Five-star Rated for Treatment of Stroke
- Received the Highest Possible Star Ratings for Treatment of Stroke
- Gastrointestinal Services
- Five-Star Rated for Treatment of GI Bleed
- Maternity Care
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Maternity Care Excellence Award™
- Five-Star Rated for Maternity Care
- Ranked Among the Top 10 Percent in the Nation for Maternity Care
- Women’s Health Services
- Recipient of the HealthGrades Women’s Health Excellence Award™
- Five-Star Rated for Women’s Health Services
- Ranked Among the Top 10 Percent in the Nation for Women’s Health
# # #
First opened in 1885, Good Samaritan Hospital is a 408-bed tertiary care facility offering some of the most comprehensive care in Los Angeles. Specializing in cardiac services, women’s services, orthopedics, oncology, and ophthalmology, Good Samaritan Hospital offers Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosciences program featuring the Gamma Knife radiosurgery, Oncology Program, Kidney Stone services, and Transfusion-Free Medicine and Surgery Center.